Air Quality in Your Home
Air quality in your home can be worse than that of outdoor air.
Problems can arise from moisture, insects, pets, appliances, radon, materials used in household products and furnishings, smoke, and other sources.
Effects range from minor annoyances to major health risks.
Remedies include ventilation, cleaning, moisture control, inspections, and following manufacturers’ directions when using appliances and products.
Research has shown that the quality of indoor air can be worse than that of outdoor air. Many homes are built or remodeled more tightly, without regard to the factors that assure fresh and healthy indoor air. Our homes today contain many furnishings, appliances and products that can affect indoor air quality.
Signs of indoor air quality problems include:
- Unusual and noticeable odors.
- Stale or stuffy air.
- Noticeable lack of air movement.
- Dirty or faulty air conditioning equipment.
- Excessive humidity.
- Presence of moulds and mildew.
- Feeling noticeably healthier outside.
COMMON SOURCES OF AIR QUALITY PROBLEMS
Poor indoor air can arise from many sources. At least some of the following contaminants can be found in almost any home:
- Moisture and biological pollutants such as moulds, mildew, dust mites, animal dander and cockroaches from high humidity levels, inadequate ventilation, and poorly maintained humidifiers and air conditioners.
- Combustion products, including carbon monoxide, from unvented fossil fuel space heaters, unvented gas stoves and ovens and water heaters.
- Formaldehyde from durable press draperies and other textiles, particle board products such as cabinets and furniture framing, and adhesives.
- Radon, a radioactive gas from soil and rock beneath and around the home’s foundation, groundwater wells and some building materials.
- Household products and furnishings such as paints, solvents, air fresheners, hobby supplies, dry-cleaned clothing, aerosol sprays, adhesives, and fabric additives used in carpeting and furniture which can release volatile organic compounds (VOC).
- Asbestos found in most homes more than 20 years old. Sources include deteriorating, damaged or disturbed pipe insulation, fire retardant, acoustical material and floor tiles.
- Lead from lead-based paint dust created when removing paint by sanding, scraping or burning.
- Particulates from dust and pollen, fireplaces, wood stoves, kerosene heaters and unvented gas space heaters.
- Tobacco smoke, which produces particulates, combustion products and formaldehyde.
REMEDIES TO INDOOR AIR QUALITY PROBLEMS
Moisture – Moisture encourages biological pollutants, including allergens such as mould, mildew, dust mites and cockroaches. Remedy: If possible, eliminate moisture sources. Install and use exhaust fans. Use a dehumidifier if necessary. Remove moulds and mildew utilizing Hygienik’s range of treatments.
Maintain good fresh air with natural and mechanical air circulation.
Air Conditioner – This can be a source of biological allergens. Remedy: If there is a
water tray, empty and clean it often. Arrange for scheduled service and maintenance procedures, including treating the filter.
Draperies – Draperies can be a source of mould, mildew and dust mites. Remedy:
Hygienik’s anti microbial treatments will eliminate these issues. Maintain moderate temperature and humidity.
Animals – Many animals leave allergens, such as dander, hair, feathers or skin, in
the air. Remedy: Treat your house including the animals sleeping areas with Hygienik’s anti microbial treatments.
House dust mites – Biological allergens can trigger asthma. Remedy: Hygienik’s mattress cleaning services will eliminate dust mites in mattresses and with a follow up anti microbial house treatment will ensure a healthy environment.
Ground moisture – Moisture encourages biological allergens like mold and mildew. Remedy: Inspect for condensation on walls, standing water on the floor, or sewage
leaks. Prevent outside water from entering by installing roof gutters and downspouts, not watering close to the foundation, grading soil away from the
home. If moisture has no obvious source, install an exhaust fan or dehumidifier
controlled by humidity levels. Remove mould and mildew.
Pesticides – Chemicals may be toxic. Remedy: Hygienik Pest Control Services offer an extensive range of services designed to have maximum impact on the target pest species and minimal impact on you, your family and the environment.
Environmental and health protection is our main focus when eliminating pests.
Our carefully selected range of products, along with our application methods, are designed to cause no adverse health effects particularly in sensitive situations when dealing with children, pets and conditions such as asthma.